So, I mentioned that I just finished my mom's office last weekend. I think it turned out beautiful (of course I’m biased though) but one of the most show stopping pieces in it came from this:
Yep. I put a dresser in her office. It’s a dresser from Broyhill made in the 70s. Personally, I'm stunned that this dresser has kept up in decent condition for that long! It did have its bumps and bruises though and a few broken drawers. It was headed to the thrift store when I came in to do her office. I knew I could use it somehow and in someway so I had her keep it. And with a little careful thought and planning, it didn’t stay a dresser for long:
Can you believe that’s the same thing?! I still can’t and I made it!
Okay, so here’s the process. Of course, in order to make it a desk, I needed to get rid of some drawers. So, I pulled them all out. I knew I wanted to keep the left column of drawers. So, with my jigsaw I took out the framing of the other two columns.
I then added some spindles to the two ends of the overhanging board to better the balance the 'desk'.
Next, I added some molding and baseboards.
Painted the piece. Then took some sandpaper and distressed it a little bit so it wasn't so stark white. I then rubbed some dark walnut stain on the distressed places.
Easy. I took some foam board and measured it to size to fit each side. Covered them with fabric, and stapled the little buggers in place.
Just for finishing touches, I added some corbels to the bottom of the overhang….
And put some spiffy new pulls on the drawers. (don't mind the unpainted end of the molding...that was fixed. lol)
Total cost for the desk was roughly $50! It would have been a lot cheaper without the corbels :) But had to do it! lol.