You ever have one of those projects that you think up in your head for awhile, never do them, then finally do them and they gave you the worst anxiety and then you wished you never started? haha. Well, this was one of those projects for me! You'll see why below. But, the end result turned out beautiful and better than I had planned, so it was all worth it in the end :)
This thing failed on so many levels for me. I attribute it to mommy brain haha. First off, I drew my sketch, which I totally miscalculated the amount of wood I needed. That was a big pain in the butt, since I live like 20 minutes from the closest Home Depot. Next, I put it all together, and tried to put it in the shelf, and it didn't fit! I measured, measured like 3 times even, but didn't account for the way I was going to make it, adding an extra 1 1/2 inches to the height. And there was the problem with the plug, I had no idea I had something already plugged in it that joilted the entire cabinet out by like 2 inches. Ugh.
Long story short. This took me 3 days to make, and a lot of lessons learned :) But, because of it, I have two tutorials to go through on how I made it...and then remade it! Both ways turned out great in the end, one just fit better than the other :) Hopefully that doesn't scare any of you from making it! I did the mess ups so you hopefully you won't have too!
My original measurements were 23.5 inches deep by 24 inches wide and 14 inches high. This first tutorial will show you how to make it 23.5 inches deep by 24 inches wide and 16.5 inches high.
First step is to get 2 panels of 4 1x4s cut at 21 inches, 2 1x2s cut at 14 inches (per panel).
Next I sanded it and painted it.
As for the door, I took that apart also. I put them all together with no gaps to make them the same size as the sides, 14 inches tall. I then cut the 1x2s down to about 12 inches each and secured them onto the 1x4s, leaving about 1 inch on top and bottom (you can see what I mean in the picture of the open door a few pictures down).
For the hinge, it now had to be secured on the underside of the bottom 1x4 to work.
I had already distressed the edges using my sander and some Dark Walnut stain from Minwax.
This worked out great and I'm so glad it finally did after a lot of grief and anxiety lol. If you all want a better tutorial with pictures on the finished box, let me know and I'll try to recreate it :)