I think that's the longest title I've ever written :)
So in my quest to find some decor for my newly planked walls, I've ran into a few walls...haha. Pun totally intended. Anyway. So, I had this great idea in mind with some beautiful round mirrors. I knew with so many straight lines, the wall needed to be softened up with some round ones. So, I was on a dead end search for the perfect round mirrors that fit my budget. I found some at hobby lobby, for $20 each, but once they went up on the wall, they looked like the size of an ant. Seriously. Either that, or a porthole. Either way. Ants and portholes aren't up my alley. So, I came up with a plan to make a giant round mirror, frame, mirror and all. But. I kept holding off doing it. I knew it may work. But there was a very strong possibility it would be an utter fail. And the amount of time and money I was going to put in it, I wasn't up for the risk.
So, that brings me back to my knock-off BD Garden District mirrors. I loved them in my old dining room, but when put against the planked wall, it reminded me too much of a garden. Yes, I know. They are called 'garden' district mirrors. But still, it worked in the old room, why not this one? Its like ivy was going to spring out of the walls at any moment.
Anyway. So, since I exhausted my search for pretty round mirrors. I decided to use what I had and see it if worked. But the way they were, just didn't work.
So, as you may remember. Each mirror cost about $5 without the frame. Now with the frame? $9. Still way way better than Ballard's $199 price tag.
So to get from point A to point B. I took my finished mirrors from before (you can find the tutorial here) and used these supplies:
Two 1x4s (per each mirror)
Flat Corner Braces (4 per mirror)
and misc. things from the kitchen :)
2. So, I wanted to give it a little bit of something instead of just a plain board, so I traced out a pretty pattern on the top (this was before I knew I was going to hang in horizontal) using a plate for the curve.
3. I used my level to trace the straight lines that were going to be going up and down the rest of the frame.
4. Then I took some glue, and followed the lines.
Let the glue dry.
Then paint the frame whatever color you choose! I chose Linen White from Better Homes and Garden. No use spending $$$ on expensive paint for this kind of thing :)
Placed a little weight on it, and had it sit over night.
But on another note! I did decide to try this tricky little tip: Use a comb to hold up the nail. These nails are extremely small! There's like no possible way to hammer them in without banging your fingers to death. All in all, this little method worked. The nails would slip out of the comb teeth every once in a while, but that's far less frustrating than continually banging your fingers with a hammer.
here- although, if you do recognize it, wowee! You've been with me for awhile :) That was like one of my first posts 2 1/2 years ago.
You can kind of see the glue lines here. I didn't do them real thick cuz I wasn't so sure how much I wanted them to be visible. This was just a single layer. I'm sure if you want it more visible, once the first layer of glue was dry, you would just do another on top of it.