Update::: click here to see the full reveal!
So I finally just finished the whole re-do organization decrapification of my office. It was a pain in the keister...but I survived :) And now I finally get to enjoy it! So, as I said before, throughout this whole process there were a ton of projects. Enough so that I can blog about them for over a year :) So, with that said....here's the first one:::
So, I have been perplexed by all these coffee filter crafts, wreaths, and covered lampshades that have been going around. Who knew that something so beautiful can come out of something so simple as coffee filters....go figure. First off, who thinks of coffee filters as a craft necessity? Its amazing these creative minds that are out there.
So the story starts....I was in much need a better lamp for my itsy bitsy desk. The one that was currently on it didn't match the style of the room at all. So, I went to Ikea to get something...or search for inspiration. Sad to say, but it was like the third time I had gone to Ikea in a seven day period :) I love that place! haha. Oh, and let me tell you...not all things at Ikea are cheap :) $30 for a lamp shade??? umm...I think not. Anyway. So I decided, in order to free up some space on my desk I should get a hanging light. So I picked up one of those light bulb sockets connected to a long long cord. Good enough description for ya? I bet you knew what I meant though, huh? Well, then I saw the section of the hanging light shades. Did you know they make a paper one that looks like a floating pillow? Its awesome. A little...should we say..'different'. Anyway. So, right next to the pillow I found this baby, not quite the style I wanted, but it would work....
Allison's lamp she made out of coffee filters and figured...what the heck! Lets try it on this baby.
I didn't quite know where to start gluing the filters so I started in the middle and started going around the globe, then I thought it would be fun if it weren't such a straight light so I made it swoosh up to the top. Once I did this, I thought I had ruined it.
Cuz then I ended up going the opposite direction I wanted to near the top hole. Luckily, these filters a malleable and I just kind of corrected it in slowly going the correct direction again and circled the hole. I then went the opposite direction to the bottom hole and did the same thing. Next I just started following the same path I had created and glued filters right next to the others...kind of following the same line, kind of not. At the end, it was more of just putting filters where there were empty spots and making it look nice.
tutorial to cover it, and then just strung the finished cord through a hook on the ceiling.
So total cost for this project was....variable. $4 for light cord, $5 for paper shade, about $5 for coffee filters, and all the glue I luckily already had on hand. So, lets round it to $15. Plus all the labor....well, actually, lets not even go there :)
UPDATE: View the other half of my office here. And the how-to on my wall organizer here.