I am finally back on solid ground for the foreseeable future. Which means, my project that was sending me up to heavens is finally done. I no longer have to be pushed up onto a ledge less than two feet long and pray to the universe that I don’t slip on a drop clothe, step on a nail, or have my knee randomly go out. Because, goodness only knows if any of those were to happen up there, I wouldn’t be writing this right now. You can read the full story here
The view from UpHere
When we moved into our house, we had a humongous alcove (which I guess we still do and I’m not even sure if that’s what its called, but I call it that, and so does my husband…which makes it easy, because if its really not an alcove, at least he doesn’t give me heck about it) above our entry way. Our entry way is a two story entry, which I love, but the builders decided to put a ledge around three walls of it. I’m sure this would be good for people who like to decorate with plants and vines and huge pots. But I’m not one of those people. I could go the pot route, but I’m not in to spending that kind of money. Especially, because with the size of this ‘alcove’, I would need like ten huge pots and that just wouldn’t do.
This was the entry before we moved in.
Well, about two years later, I still didn’t have anything up there. Yes, I contemplated putting Christmas trees up there during Christmas and what not, but really? That would mean I would have to get up there and down at least twice in a given month, and I knew I wasn’t up for that. And it only makes matters worse when we don’t have a ladder that reaches that high and I have to stand on my husband’s shoulders to even attempt to get up there in the first place.
So, after about two years, I finally had a solution. Why not just throw up a wall treatment and call it good until we actually got a ladder…or I can find a crazy good deal on a huge pot???
So first off. I taped off a square on each side wall to the same measurements. Used a laser level to help make sure they were somewhat straight. (goodness knows what it would have looked like if I eyed it)
Next, I got some Behr paint in New Chestnut and went at it on the walls. Okay. So I have a confession to make here. I have lived in my house for almost two years now (as I have said already) and have YET to paint a single wall. Yes, I know…this is bad. Real bad. But, its even worse when it takes you about four months to even hang anything on the walls because you’re afraid to put a hole in the it….am I right? Well, I’m guilty on both accounts. This is the first wall I painted, and sadly, its not even IN an actual living space. But, to my defense, I love the color of my walls right now and don’t care to paint them. And its not necessarily my own fault. My husband cringed when I told him I was going to paint a wall. If it was up to him, he would keep everything the same for 80 years. Then I ask him this, why did you marry ME??? I guess opposites do attract (except when it comes to painting walls). Okay back to the project. I painted the walls (while the husband hid in the living room afraid to look and as I risked my life on the edge).
Next. I took some molding, used my miter saw to cut the angles. Got back up on the godforbidden ledge and started hammering them in. I’m not sure how I did this without falling off. I only suspect it was good karma. I guess I need to go pay the universe back now in some way.
I used my level the make sure the molding was straight (since I didn’t necessarily trust my laser level lines of paint). Now, for putting up molding, nail guns are the best. But for those of you who don’t have nail guns, its really easy too. Just hammer in the nail, letting a little of it stick out still.
Get a nailset just a tid bit smaller than the nail and hammer the nailset into the nail.
This will make sure the nail is hidden underneath the surface of the molding.
Next, I WAS going to have to get some wood putty and put it in the holes, sand the holes, and repaint the holes. But my smart hubby grabbed me some acrylic latex caulk plus silicone…in white. I just dabbed some in the holes, wiped it away with a cloth and voila. No sanding or repainting necessary. Hallelujah! thank you babe
Okay. So next, I needed some artwork to put in these squares. I thought of stenciling. Decided that that wouldn’t do considering I wouldn’t have the patience or a strong enough stomach to do so on a tiny little ledge. I thought of hanging some art, but that just meant I would have to spend money, times two, one for each wall. I thought of a few other things, but forgot what they were so apparently they weren’t very good ideas. Lol.
So my $10 solution was to get some plywood, cut it to a length of 48”x18”, get some paint and paper.
Put them all together. and.....
And turn it into this!
Total cost of this project was about $40 plus about $50,000 for mental distress. The same cost of a medium size pot minus the stress. I think I did good. Now I don’t care if I ever put anything up on that darn ledge…..maybe a railing for next time around though. I kid, I kid.