Here's the wonderful corner of this kitchen before. Obviously the dark blinds had to go...which was really too bad that I opted for them in the first place. We had to do them custom and they are real wood so it cost mucho bucks. I just had to keep telling myself that we had them for 5 years, so we got our money's worth out of them.
Changing out the blinds changed the whole dynamic of this corner and completely brightened it up. I also wanted to make it a littler softer and add some color and pattern, so I decided to make a roman shade.
Here are the supplies I used to create this:
Fabric -couple of inches wider than the window and length of the window (see step 1)
Stitch witchery or sewing machine
Command hanging strips
Step 1: Make sure your fabric is cut about 2 inches wider than the window. If you want the fabric to drop all the way down to the bottom of the window when hung, then you need to add 1 inch seam allowance for the bottom plus the size of your valance and an inch for the top. If you are just hanging it with a rod, then probably about an extra 2 inches on the top. This may make more sense if you look at Step 2.
Using your stitch witchery, go around the two vertical sides folding in an inch and ironing down, with the stitch witchery between the fabric. Follow the instructions on the box for best results.
Take your valance and put it on the top part of the fabric, fold the fabric over it, leaving about an extra inch or so.
Step 6: To hang your shade up, put the valance back on your blinds and then loop the ribbon on the command strips. I hooked the top two ribbons onto the top command strip, and then the 3rd one on the 2nd and the 4th one on the bottom or 3rd.
This took an hour to do, start to finish and cost about $10 including the fabric and command strips. I love how this makes my kitchen look a little bit more inviting. The hubs of course isn't so sure about it. I don't think I'll ever win him over with my projects. He always says "It'll have to grow on me". lol. Ugh...